Saturday, October 4, 2014

What do I want out of this class?

     Wow, this is a whole new world to me! Fun, exciting and a bit intimidating! I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the world wide web and the virtual world we live in. Initially, I took this class because it was the only 3 credit class available. However, after looking over the syllabus and spending a few days in class, I really believe this class will benefit me. The professor, Andrew Fry has  a great sense of humor, knowledge and background in the technology industry and has lots of energy to share with his students.

     Historically, I was not clear on how or when the internet came to be. The technological aspect, such as HTML, FTP, TCP/IP, is a foreign language to me, but, one I think I can tackle. It is a vast world of information and I'm hopeful by the end of this course I will certainly have more clarity and understanding of the Virtual World. I'm interested in learning more about e-commerce and how that all came about. It has grown so exponentially through out the years, which is also interesting, will it at some point phase out or slow down?

The security of the internet and our privacy is also interesting to me. Are there really people observing us, certainly our actions are being observed? I am concerned that more securities will be breached, more hackers will be successful and our private information will be leaked causing more problems than I care to imagine. Can the internet really be kept safe? With social media, it presents so many opportunities and potential conflicts. Internet bullying, psychological and emotional concerns, do you have enough face book friends, being constantly aware of what others are doing, saying and sharing. It is a whole world unto itself, the virtual world, very exciting and complex. I hope to be more competent and aware of the internet and all it's potential after this class ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment